Cheat’s Pad Thai as I like throwing all the ingredients in the one pot and have the noodles absorb all the flavours. This is a really versatile dish where you can use any of your favourite vegetables.
1 clove garlic
1/4 inch grated ginger
1 grated carrot
1 bunch of bok choy, washed and cut into 1-inch parts
1/4 cup dried shitake mushrooms
*You can use any vegetables such as bean shoots, bell peppers etc.
1 tablespoon mushroom sauce or vegan oyster sauce
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vegan fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoons siracha
Fresh coriander, chopped
200 grams Pad Thai noodles
2 cups stock
Small block of tofu cut into cubes, I prefer pre-marinated tofu for this dish.
- Sautee onions with 2 tablespoons of water in a pot. When they soften add garlic and ginger and sautee for another minute.
- Add 2 cups of stock and sauce ingredients, and bring to simmer. Add the shitake mushrooms and carrots and bring to boil. Add tofu.
- Add the noodles now. Avoid moving the noodles too much as it will break. Put the lid on the pot to help the noodles hydrate. Bring the heat down to a simmer for a minute. If you are using vegetables that are more sturdy and take a longer time to cook (e.g., zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli), add this at the same time as the noodles, on top of the noodles.
- After the minute, add any softer vegetables (e.g., bok choy) now. At any time if it looks like the stock has completely reduced, you may add more stock, a little at a time. Give the pot a stir. Your noodles should now be soft. If not, put the lid back on and let it steam for another minute.
- Add chopped corriander and serve.