The roasted garlic gives this hearty soup a warm and delicious flavour without the strong pungent flavours associated with this root vegetable.
2 cans white beans, rinsed and drained
2 potatoes cut in large pieces
2 sprigs rosemary removed from stalk and finely chopped
1 bulb garlic
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 litre stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice off the top of bulb of garlic to reveal most of garlic cloves without peel.
- Drizzle olive oil on garlic and cook in 150C oven for about 20-30 minutes or when garlic browns.
- Sautee onion with 2 tablespoons of stock until softened.
- Add all ingredients except for salt and pepper and bring to boil then simmer for 30 minutes or longer.
- Season the soup.
- If you like a slightly chunky soup, remove several ladles of beans and give it a quick mash.
- Process soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- For chunky soup option, return the mashed beans into the rest of the soup.