Many of you know that buddha bowls are my favourite. It’s a great way to add a wide diversity of nutrients in one meal, and the ability to choose your own toppings makes it a great party option to cater to individuals with different food intolerances.
Today’s buddha bowl topping is orange chilli tofu, inspired by a friend who introduced me to Korean chilli paste.
1 block of firm tofu
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1orange, juiced and zested
1 tablespoon Korean chilli paste (you can use another type of chilli if you like)
3 tablespoons tomato sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- Wrap the tofu in clean towels and rest something heavy (e.g., chopping board, pot) on top of it for 15 minutes. This will drain the tofu of some of its water.
- In a bowl, mix the orange juice, chilli, tomato sauce and sweetener.
- Sautee onion in 2 tablespoons of water in a non-stick pan until it has softened.
- Add garlic and tofu and sautee for 10 minutes.
- Add the orange chilli mix you have prepared and cook the tofu some more until the sauce has reduced to a consistency you like.