I am a huge fan of hazelnut chocolate anything. Naturally, I had to come up with a hazelnut chocolate recipe that is as whole food plant based as possible. This is a super delicious slice that I make for special people in my life. You will find it a winner to bring to parties or batch and freeze in small portions to add as a lunch box treat.
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup dates (soaked and drained to soften)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon flaxeed
3 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 1/2 cups oats
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
3-4 tablespoons water
50g melted dark chocolate
Handful hazelnuts, chopped
1 teaspoon goji berries
- Toast hazelnuts in a pan until slightly browned. You can use roasted hazelnuts and skip this step, but I have found freshly toasted hazelnuts make the slice even more aromatic.
- Place dates in food processor and blend. Add remaining slice ingredients and continue to blend.
- Add the water teaspoon by teaspoon and stop once the ingredients come into a dough consistency.
- Line a square 20cm x 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place slice ingredients into tray and press down with the back of a spoon until mostly level. Place in fridge for at least an hour.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate in a microwave oven for 30 seconds, or in a bowl placed over a saucepan of boiling water. If you are using the microwave, make sure you watch the chocolate so it doesn’t burn.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over slice. Sprinkle with nuts and goji berries.
Return to the fridge for another 30 minutes before slicing and serving. If you are observing a strict while food plant based diet, you can leave this step out.