I love the sweet and salty flavour of these dumplings, punctuated by a 5-spice aroma. You can get mock duck from most Asian grocers.
280g canned mock duck
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
4 button mushrooms, sliced
2 dried shitake mushroom, soaked in water to soften and sliced
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cups stock
1/4 teaspoon ground 5-spice
250g dumpling wrappers
Dipping sauce ingredients:
1/4 cups soy sauce
1/4 cups rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 chilli sliced
- Sautee onion in a non stick saucepan. As the onion start to caramalise, add water used to soak the shitake mushroom to prevent the onion for sticking to the pan. If you run out of the mushroom water, you can add some water.
- Add remaining ingredients and stock and continue cooking until the stock has reduced so you have a sauceless mix.
- Allow mixture to cool and remove duck pieces.
- Put mixture through the food processor. There is no need to push the mixture on the sides down. Some chunks is good for texture.
- Break duck pieces by hand into small chunky pieces and return to the mixture. You now have a filling that is ready to be wrapped into dumplings.
- Fill a dumpling wrapper with 1 teaspoon of the mixture, wet half the circumference of the wrapper, fold in half with the filling inside, so it now forms a semi-circle. Form pleats on the outside of the dumpling.
- Make as many dumplings as you have filling or the wrappers. It can be a difficult estimate to have the exact amount of filling for number of wrappers you have. If you have excess wrappers, they freeze well in a ziplock bag. If you have excess filling, they can be eaten on its own or with some rice.
- To cook the dumplings, in a hot non-stick pan, put in 1 tablespoon of oil. When oil reaches smoke point, put dumplings in the pan. Add 1/4 cups of water into the pan, it will sizzle. Cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat to its lowest plan and let the dumplings steam in the pan. Once the water is fully absorbed, turn the dumplings and put the lid on. Continue to do this until sides of the dumplings is browned.
- Mix all ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Serve with slices of the chilli depending on how spicy you like your dumplings.