This was an accidental and very delicious experiment when the plan was to cook some mushrooms but discovering that an eggplant had to be used. You can obtain black bean sauce which comes in jars, from most Asian grocers.
1 eggplant, cubed
10-15 white button mushrooms
1 clove garlic
1 red chilli, deseeded (optional)
1/4 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon black bean sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon kechap manis
1 teaspoon corn starch mixed with 3 teaspoons water to form a slurry
- Sprinkle salt liberally over eggplant and leave to “sweat” for 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Sautéed onion in a non-stick pan until it starts to caramalise. Add a small amount of water if it starts to stick.
- Add black bean sauce, eggplant, mushrooms, garlic and soy sauce. Put a lid on the pan and stir occasionally. Turn the heat down.
- When the eggplant and mushroom looks close to being cooked, remove the lid. There should be a sauce from juices of the mushroom.
- Add the slurry to thicken the sauce and you’re done!