This is one of my favourite salads to make. It tastes delicious, and comes with black beans which is packed full of iron and other goodness. Adding fruit as an ingredient allows you to have the sweetness you need, without having to add sugar to the dressing.
1 can black beans
1 cup corn
1/2 cucumber, deseeded and cubed
1 small capsicum, cubed
1/4 red onion, sliced
1/2 cup coriander, chopped
1 mango, cubed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoons mustard
1. Put corn in a hot pan without oil, and toss around frequently for about 5-10 minutes until corn has char marks.
2. Put lemon juice and mustard in a clean jar and shake to make a dressing.
3. Toss all ingredients and dressing together.
4. Ready to serve.
I have just discovered chia. The look of it used to make me shudder until I tried this chia pudding. It’s amazing! This is coconut mango version that reminds of sipping pina coladas by the beach. Chia puddings are best started overnight and assembled the next day. Once assembled, they can be left in the fridge for a few hours until they are ready to serve. These can also assembled in small containers for a picnic or lunch treat.
1 cup coconut milk
3-4 soaked dates
2 tablespoons chia seed
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup mangoes
- Put the vanilla essence, cinnamon, soaked dates and coconut milk through a processor to pulp the dates.
- Add chia seeds and leave overnight.
- Spoon chia seeds into glasses and layer with mangoes. Finish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.