Summer peaches are the best at the moment. They add an aromatic sweetness to salads which is so good with the pepperiness of rocket and crunch of almonds.
3 cups of mixed greens including rocket
2 peaches, cut into segments
1 cup cooked quionoa
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup toasted almonds
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon pomegranate molassesMethod:
1. Put vinegar and molasses in a jar and shake to combine.
2. Toss all ingredients together.
3. Ready to serve.
This is one of my favourite salads to make. It tastes delicious, and comes with black beans which is packed full of iron and other goodness. Adding fruit as an ingredient allows you to have the sweetness you need, without having to add sugar to the dressing.
1 can black beans
1 cup corn
1/2 cucumber, deseeded and cubed
1 small capsicum, cubed
1/4 red onion, sliced
1/2 cup coriander, chopped
1 mango, cubed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoons mustard
1. Put corn in a hot pan without oil, and toss around frequently for about 5-10 minutes until corn has char marks.
2. Put lemon juice and mustard in a clean jar and shake to make a dressing.
3. Toss all ingredients and dressing together.
4. Ready to serve.
Summer seem to have made a return to Melbourne today and I was inspired to make this salad with vibrant colours of summer and aroma of fresh herbs.
1.5 cups wholewheat cous cous
1.5 cups water
1 bayleaf (optional)
Salt to taste (optional)
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 cups raisins (blanched if oil free preferred)
1 red pepper/capsicum
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup mint, chopped
Rind of a lemon
- Toast cous cous in a saucepan over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Add water and bayleaf. Bring to boil. Then simmer at a very low heat covered. Cook for about 8 minutes. Turn off heat and leave cous cous to rest and cool.
- To make dressing, put lemon juice, mustard and raisins in a jar and shake. Pour dressing over cous cous, mix and leave to rest whilst you prepare the salad items.
- Mix cous cous and salad items and serve.