When rushing around to get my Christmas errands done, I always get an uh-oh moment when I get the hunger pangs. What am I going to eat that is whole food plant based no oil without spending more time foraging for food (or succumbing to that vegan donut calling out to me)? These granola bites are my answer. They make a super handy snack, full of whole grains, dates, seeds and nuts to give you that energy to power through; without any of the stuff to cause inflammation to your insides and slow you down. We all know we need all the energy we have this time of year!
2 cups dates (soaked for at least an hour and drained)
3 cups oats
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup water
1/2 cups nuts (I use pecans and pumpkin seeds)
- Put all ingredients except for nuts in a food processor. Process until it is a sticky consistency.
- Add nuts and pulse the food processor several times. You want your nuts still chunky.
- Mould the dough into little chunks, about teaspoon size, and place on a baking sheet. Chunks should not touch each other.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15 minutes. Flip each granola bite over and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes until browned.
- Allow granola bites to cool.