I was so inspired by the pea, celery and potato soup I had at Table8 in Tokyo that I had to recreate this. This soup can be portioned and freezes well for a quick, healthy and heart warming meal.
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 cups peas
2 potatoes, cut into big cubes
5 cups broth
Small bunch of thyme and handful of parsley chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee onion in a stock pot, add a little water as the onion start to caramalise to prevent sticking. Add garlic.
- Add celery, potatoes, stock and bring to boil. Then reduce to a simmer. Add herbs and seasoning.
- Simmer for half hour or until potatoes have soften.
- Add peas and simmer for a minute. Turn off heat.
- Using a handheld blender, puree the soup until it has a smooth consistency. Ready to serve!
My friend’s Italian mama occasionally makes this soup and sends it to me through my friend via take out containers. I have never met her, but imagine her making this heart warming and nutritious broth with a lot of love in her kitchen. This is my whole food plant based no oil version of Italian mama’s soup. Happy Vegan Day everyone!
1 cup lentils (soaked overnight and drained)
6 cups stock
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1-2 carrots chopped or grated
1 stalk celery chopped or grated
1 teaspoon oregano
1 handful fresh parsley or dill chopped
Salt and pepper (optional)
- Sautee onion in pot with 2 tablespoons of water until onion is soft.
- Add garlic and sautee for another minute.
- Add remaining ingredients except for oregano and parsley.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add herbs and seasoning, simmer for another 30 minutes. You can simmer for longer.
The roasted garlic gives this hearty soup a warm and delicious flavour without the strong pungent flavours associated with this root vegetable.
2 cans white beans, rinsed and drained
2 potatoes cut in large pieces
2 sprigs rosemary removed from stalk and finely chopped
1 bulb garlic
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 litre stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice off the top of bulb of garlic to reveal most of garlic cloves without peel.
- Drizzle olive oil on garlic and cook in 150C oven for about 20-30 minutes or when garlic browns.
- Sautee onion with 2 tablespoons of stock until softened.
- Add all ingredients except for salt and pepper and bring to boil then simmer for 30 minutes or longer.
- Season the soup.
- If you like a slightly chunky soup, remove several ladles of beans and give it a quick mash.
- Process soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- For chunky soup option, return the mashed beans into the rest of the soup.