I love this sweet and salty miso glazed eggplant which is another delicious addition to a buddha bowl, or just served with cooked grains.
2 large or 3 small eggplants
3 tablespoons miso
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon sake
1 tablespoon sugar
Dash of sesame oil (optional, leave out for oil free option)
- Halve the eggplant and sprinkle with salt to “sweat” the eggplant for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off salt and dry the eggplant. Cut a criss-cross pattern on the inside surface of the eggplant.
- Sear the eggplant on a non-stick pan, face down, until it is slightly brown. Then remove from heat.
- Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl into a smooth paste. Coat the seared surface of the eggplant with this mixture.
- Bake the eggplant in a pre-heated oven to 200C for 20 minutes or until the tops of the eggplant is glazed.